Thursday, October 28, 2010

Another transition

I spent my first night in my new"permanent"apartment here in Accra -- in a nice area called "Airport Residential."  Although I'd been there several times with office drivers and my real estate agent, I went there by taxi on my own for the first time after work last night...and then to/from Alliance Francaise to see a modern dance performance...and then to work this morning.  And I was/am where I was/am supposed to be!  And that's quite an accomplishment because: a) I have no sense of direction (Grandpa always marveled that I found my way home from anywhere!); and b) neither do the taxi drivers here. It's incredible -- they don't know streets by names (only landmarks); they don't know a whole lot of landmarks; and they don't necessarily speak English.  So there I was last night, in the dark, driving around in a rattletrap car with a total (male) stranger, getting lost on dimly lit side streets after holding my breath in horrendous traffic with blaring horns, belching fumes, and absolutely NO respect for lanes, much less how to change them, and all I could think, was -- what the hell am I doing???!!!

I don't have much stuff in apt. yet...just the few living basics I packed for my air freight box while I wait for my large sea shipment with furniture and car -- plus my three heavy suitcases of clothes that I'm already sick
of ("..of which I'm already sick"?) Also no TV yet. Landlady left a few basic furniture pieces, but substituted the bed I originally saw, with a twin. Of course I packed linens, but the sheets are too large, the bathroom mats have to be thrown out because they stink to high heaven from having been packed, and I forgot a pillow, so I had to sleep on my travel pillow.  Guess I won't be able to wait until the sea shipment comes ...will have to go shopping this weekend. Actually,the apartment feels more like a hotel than a home...and I've been in more hotels over the past two months than I can count!

Work is busy,but a little weird.  My colleagues are all terrific both here and in Ouaga -- very friendly and helpful.  (Well, young Sammy the IT guy told me I look like a teenager "from far away".  I told him "You look like an adult -- from far away." He cracked up.)  Anyway, the weird part is the topics I'm
working with.  Well, the "tropics", too, as it is ALWAYS hot!  Anyway, been hard at work on a project to bring Burkina sheep down to Ghana next week for the "Tabaski" Muslim holiday (sheep to be sacrificed in memory of Biblical Abraham). But the financing didn't work out so it appears all is for naught. But I have to laugh -- I got dressed in my "grown-up clothes" today for a meeting at the USAID office at the US Embassy -- to talk about sheep and chickens and rice and maize,and...!!!
I am feeling pretty lonely when I'm not at work. Haven't actually HUNG OUTwith the sheep and chickens ...and I do miss Grandpa terribly.
xoxoooox Love, Grammy

No comments:

Post a Comment