Sunday, October 3, 2010

Introducing Africa

Right now my grandchildren -- all five Froseths ("Fro 1, 2, 3, 4 and 5") are a combination of proud and puzzled as to why "Grammy" keeps going back to Africa.  Kirra and Caden, the 4-year old twins, probably don't even know I'm gone, but Summer, who is 7, is bragging to her friends about my travels; 11-year old Makayla's best friend said to her, "I know your grandma goes to Africa a lot, can she bring me back some sand?"; and 13 (almost 14) year-old Keaton misses me and says he can't wait to come visit Ghana, which I hope he and Makayla will do next summer, with their dad, Jeremy.

So why do I keep going -- and especially, why now, just 9 months after Gary's death?  Even that phrase can reduce me to tears, though I've pretty much stopped crying and just hold dear the 36 years we had together.  I go because I'm healing, because this was part of my life before Gary died, and because, well, because "it's" there.  Because I can do my communications work in an environment that brings the rest of the world closer to me, and helps me feel part of this very large and complicated globe on which we live.  For me, life has never been about complacency -- it's about learning and doing and seeing and experiencing. Africa draws me because of its spirit and its mystique (as does the Middle East, where I thought I was headed!).  It both attracts and infuriates me.

Having been to Africa many times, and facing the prospect of introducing it to family, I am looking at it, though, through the eye of newcomers.  What would their reactions be to the strange mix in African capitals of beautiful modern buildings with fascinating architecture juxtaposed by colonial or clap-trap construction...modern cars alongside rattle-trap taxis in totally insane traffic along roads that are bordered by open drainage systems instead of sidewalks...professionals dressed in modern (or often traditional) garb, talking on their cell phones as they pick their way along the dusty, rock-strewn streets also populated by goats and chickens... modern supermarkets with horribly expensive imported items (e.g., canned and packaged goods) and produce (here Accra), except those from France (!)...plenty of "continental" and foreign restaurants and "international standard hotels" alongside traditional "local food" chop shops and lodging accommodations that might not have working ("western") toilets.  Numerous languages all being spoken simultaneously...living among people of color, who all seem to be able to tell from which country or region the other is.  And the people -- their charm, humor, friendliness, and the way they solve problems -- both lackadaisically (drives me nuts!) and creatively (I call it "Africa magic").

It's hard to read international publications about Africa, because they dwell so much on corrupt politics and violent conflicts...but of course, the Africa I see is only middle class, and poverty.  I don't typically see the very wealthy, nor those who commit atrocities. 

Typically, my life is pretty much the same here as it is anywhere when one works full-time.  I spend a lot of time in front of a computer -- answering e-mails, solving problems, writing -- as well as meeting with staff.  My first week has been both interesting -- learning about the barriers to international trade in six product areas, and exploring Accra -- and boring, as I've yet to get involved in anything.
xooox  Love, Grammy

1 comment:

  1. Looking forward to reading your blog regularly, Paulette!

    Gretchen

    ReplyDelete